The Office of the Director of National Intelligence this week declassified hundreds of documents collected during the 2011 raid of Osama bin Laden’s Pakistan compound, including his original job application for al-Qaeda, which, along with requesting regular contact information, asked applicants whether they would be willing to be suicide bombers and who to contact in case of martyrdom. What do you think?
GOLETA, CA—In an effort to minimize the impact of the disaster occurring along the California coastline, Plains All American Pipeline officials rushed this week to contain the oil spill to a small section of the media. “Crews are working around the clock to prevent information about the incident from spreading beyond the inside pages of newspapers and the final minutes of news programs,” said CEO Greg Armstrong, adding that the company deeply regretted that the crude spill had seeped into the news cycle and that it was devoting all its resources to stopping the slick from expanding into lead stories. “Our top priority is to do everything in our power to make sure this oil spill is restricted to a 30-second segment or 150-word article at most. Once it’s contained, we have specialized teams that can quickly and safely remove it from the news and limit any damage …
ATLANTA—Explaining it was merely something to occupy his attention throughout the evening, Cleveland Cavaliers head coach David Blatt revealed to reporters that he was spending the majority of Wednesday night’s Eastern Conference Finals game against the Atlanta Hawks drawing up plays for fun on the sideline. “I figured I have nothing else to do, so I might as well try to think up some weird plays while I’m sitting here,” Blatt said while sketching out an increasingly elaborate offensive sequence involving 12 consecutive pick-and-rolls before the point guard shoots the ball from the baseline. “I know none of these plays will ever get used, so I’m just seeing what I can come up with. I drew this one with five centers all stacked together on the perimeter, and then they rush to the basket at the same time and pass the ball behind their backs until …
On Wednesday, the U.S. government declassified more than 400 documents and other material seized from Osama bin Laden’s Pakistan hideout during the 2011 raid that resulted in his death. Here are some of the items found in the former al-Qaeda leader’s compound:
- Massive library of English-language books, including Saga Of The Swamp Thing #21-#56, The Complete Guide To Swamp Thing, and a rare original edition of House Of Secrets #92 signed by Len Wein, the creator of Swamp Thing
- Numerous letters to Islamic clerics repeatedly asking for clarification on difference between Sunnis and Shiites
- Contractor’s blueprints for proposed sundeck addition to Abbottabad compound
- Unflattering photo of the United States
- 100-page patent application for improvised explosive device
- Highlighted text in copy of The Joy Of Cooking that revealed bin Laden either made or was planning to make potato leek soup
- Some pretty great camera phone footage …
How many positive male role models do your children have? On Mothershould, Grace Manning-Devlin says that if they don’t have these seven, they could grow up severely stunted.